Friday, November 5, 2010

Cleaning House - err I Mean Garage





One of the errands on my to do list for today was to drop off and pick up dry cleaning for Dajuan. While loading up the laundry bag, the kids, the purse, and the potty (a necessity these days), I noticed something peculiar. Wedged between two stacks of leaf bags (which we should be filling very soon!) was a large mass of entangled dry cleaning plastic sheaths and hangers. Apparently Dajuan's affinity for hiding things in tall places (see this post) has spilled over to stashing useless clutter in the garage. Not very downsizey of him (check out the looks of shock and dismay on the girls' faces)! I specifically recall cleansing his closet of the dry cleaning waste products a few months ago and setting them on top of his bag to be dropped off with his cleaning. Apparently there was some breakdown in the transmission of goods from the back door to the vehicle.

As I delivered the dirty laundry and picked up fresh duds this evening, I hauled the amoeba of wire and plastic onto the counter of Pratt Abbott. The nice lady pointed me towards the "recycling center" in the foyer. After about 15 minutes of detangling and sorting I had made sense of the pile and put the metal and plastic into their appropriate bins.

Unfortunately, I left the cleaners with a fresh batch of cleaning waste. Not only is the service of dry cleaning expensive but with the amount of hangers and plastic used I can only imagine there is an adverse environmental effect. To top it all off, the solvents used are potentially toxic and harmful to our health! Somehow, a neatly pressed shirt or freshened sweater doesn't seem worth these risks. But, I am not the one dressing for a business job everyday. I have the good fortune of wearing scrubs that are laundered by the hospital.

1 comment:

  1. THAT is one of the all-time great Downsizing pictures!

    ReplyDelete