Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Gaining a Foothold


I remember being in college and pondering how old I would be when I would begin to wear proper footwear in inclement weather or when I would start to wear a hat to cover my ears in the cold without worrying about my hair. Back in my teens and early twenties I still had enough vanity to care more about style than comfort. And, while I still would like to think I make relatively good fashion choices, I believe the time has come where practicality supercedes vanity. Allow me to share the moment in time when I crossed over.

Last week I was getting dressed to volunteer at Hall School in the school nurse's office. As I selected my shoes, I pushed aside my supportive Dansko clogs in favor of a higher heeled pair of Born shoes. After all, they would look better and I would only be on my feet for 3 hours. Bad move. My 3 hours turned into many more as immediately after leaving the school, I stayed at my friend Elania's house with her brood of 5 and my own Kendra Dee as a small return favor. By the time I came home my left arch, knee and IT band were killing me. As some of you know, I had arthroscopic surgery on my left knee and began wearing orthotics about 6 months ago. I am still struggling to get back into running form and battle various aches and pains most days. Needless to say, the high heeled Born shoes don't work with orthotics nor do they help my knee. My wave of vanity in the morning turned into pain. That pain continued through the remainder of the week and the weekend. Finally, after pampering my feet and wearing the right shoes for a stretch of time, my gimpyness is subsiding.

This story leads me to my downsize for today. I declared my coming of age and my commitment to make wise footwear and clothing choices by taking the Born shoes to Goodwill. Apparently 35 is the magic age.

No comments:

Post a Comment