Monday, November 8, 2010

Downszinging the Challenge

This is a bittersweet day. After a fun getaway from everyday life followed by a day where I hit a physical wall (my body succumbed to a terrible migraine), I woke up today with a fresh perspective on some things. As all of my faithful followers, loved ones,and friends know about me I lead a rather full life. Adding this downsizing venture 100 days ago made some of you think I had truly lost it. How could I add one more thing? But, as is my nature, I felt inspired and was lead by a passion to carry the torch of Reed's challenge. And, for the past 3 and 1/2 months I have felt challenged and fulfilled by ridding my home of things and recording the adventures on my blog. Yesterday, as I threw away yet a few more things found in high places (yes, Dajuan hid them there) I just couldn't find the energy to blog about them. By the original guidelines, this means I was still on track. But, as I woke up at 5:30am this morning and shared a long overdue cup of coffee with my husband, I realized through our conversation that some things have to come off of my very full plate. While downsizing might only take 30 minutes to an hour of each day, those are precious minutes that are being borrowed from another important task. Or, maybe even eating away at my sleep or exercise time. And so, on this the 100th day I am making a very difficult choice to downsize the downsizing challenge. I want to say thank you to all of my faithful followers and occasional readers. Your comments and support carried me through the previous 99 days and made this journey more entertaining than I ever thought it could be. I also want to tip my hat to Reed who completed his challenge through the birth of his first son and a move across the country. I have an even greater admiration for you now than I did as a reader of your blog. And lastly, I want to leave you with some things I learned through this partially completed journey:

1.) Writing every day is a good thing
2.) Getting rid of things is a better thing
3.) Time goes by fast and my kids are growing equally fast
4.) I should give my things to people who can use them and who will enjoy them more often
5.) Goodwill is a good thing
6.) I am $580 richer than I was 100 days ago
7.) I need to consider the amount of time I have to give before giving it
8.) My kids are watching my every move
9.) I am passionate and go after goals with a vengeance
10.) I am only human

5 comments:

  1. you rock amy. you even downsized downsizing! thats the ultimate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful lessons learned! I'll miss reading your posts everyday. Maybe I'll take something on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to pretend I agree with this decision and I'm not going to pretend that I don't hope you'll reconsider...

    When I did the Appalachian Trail I took two big vacations from it, but I still consider the thru-hike a success.

    If you recharge in a day or two, we're all ready to pick up where you left off.

    Your Dear Reader,
    Reed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Reed - I knew I could count on you to give me the hard truth. While I feel steadfast in my decision I appreciate the open door you left for me.
    Jo - I'd love to hand you some sort of torch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. I think I might have to pick up the torch, Amy. I am going to read your posts and check out Reed's too.

    Your Dear Neighbor,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete