Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Day in the Life of a Downsizer


(Please note, all times are approximate)

4am - alarm goes off
4:30am breakfast and get ready for work
5:30 depart for work
6am punch in and arrive on the unit
6-11:30am - Care for various patients
11:30-12 - lunch!
12-2:30pm Care for more patients
3pm Pick up Kendra from Amity's house
3:15pm Change poopy pull up
3:40pm Arrive home and greet the big kids
3:45-4:30pm - unpack from the day, feed kids snack, answer emails and phone messages, prepare for basketball practice
4:30pm Depart for Practice
4:45pm Drop Kiera and Kendra off at Amy's house, pick up Hannah for practice
5pm-6pm Coach Basketball practice
6:15pm Pick up Kiera and Kendra from Amy's, drop off Hannah
6:40pm Arrive home
6:45 -7pm Heat up and eat dinner (thank goodness for the chili I prepared yesterday!)
7-8pm Assist with homework, clean up pee soaked undies and pants, all kids bathed and in PJ's and tucked in
8pm Lug all laundry to the basement and start a load (Kiera declared that she had no pants left to wear tomorrow!)
8:30pm Fold clean laundry in baskets from a few days ago
9pm Catch up on email, Facebook, and blog
10:03 -barely awake....

Dizzying isn't it? I am not detailing my day to brag and say that my days are any different than all of your days. What I am explicitly pointing out is the lack of time for downsizing on days like today!
After putting the kids to bed, I staggered to the basement and peered at the mountain of laundry and once again pondered letting myself off of the downsizing hook for a day. Then I felt a pang of guilt. Woven into our post practice dinner and bedtime routine, Shayla had a mini meltdown. The bottom line is that she got a pep talk from both Dajuan and I about digging deep, challenging herself, and not being a quitter. There is no way I can skip a day of this challenge after forbidding a quitter's attitude! With renewed energy (maybe a stretch) I looked up onto the top shelf of the laundry room organizer and spotted 2 very old items that I never use. Both a Bissell Air Freshner, and generic Fabric Refresher have perched their useless, perfumed selves on this shelf since we moved in. That was in 2005. That makes them over 5 years old. What a perfect downsize at the end of a long day. The thought did cross my mind that perhaps I could spray refresher on all of the clothes in lieu of washing and drying them but, I thought better of that and tossed both cans in the trash.
With a load of jeans in the dryer, my duties for the day are complete. Now off to bed for a short respite before the race begins again in the morning!

3 comments:

  1. Phew! I am tired just reading about your day. Way to dig deep Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes describe my life as being spent in the service of my children. That reality is a source of tremendous joy and sometimes a source of flat-on-the-ground exhaustion. The next time you stare at the mountain of laundry after the children are asleep, remember that you are NOT alone and that many of us are probably doing the same thing at the same time. That thought doesn't always help me but sometimes it does.
    Also, with my oldest less than a year away from leaving for college, remember that this too, shall pass and that someday they will be doing their own laundry and maybe someday well past that, they will come and help you do yours...

    Kerrie

    ReplyDelete