Saturday, September 11, 2010

EWASTE








Thanks to the Maine Red Claws and eWaste Maine, today's downsize was a cinch. There was a fabulous event in the expo parking lot featuring an oversize Crusher and multiple tractor trailers lined up to haul off any discarded TV's, VCR's, computers, and other electronics.

The girls and I joined Dajuan at his post under the Red Claws tent and had the pleasure of meeting Mike from the eWaste Maine program. As I handed over a plastic bag full of old cell phones and chargers, I inquired a bit about the eWaste program. I was fascinated to find out that the manufacturers of many of these products are mandated to pay for the recycling and disposal of the things that they sell to consumers. Through drop off events like the one held today, we can recycle our stuff without paying the fees at our local recycling centers. And, eWaste of Maine is a local company creating jobs for Maine people. Talk about a feel good downsize!

What lingered with me after my disposal of multiple cell phones (dating back to our Milwaukee days) was the reality that I will have the need to dispose of more cell phones in the future. It seems that each time our contract runs out we are lured into acquiring new free phones with extra bells and whistles. But, my friends, there is nothing free about getting a new item to replace one that still works only to recycle it in a few years. And, if your household is typical, there are other electronics being updated and upgraded on a regular basis - all adding up to piles of eWaste. After all, technology has been rigged to force the consumer to buy new models at regular intervals. Gone are the days of fixing things and keeping them around for decades. We have become a society equipped with disposable gadgets. So, while I feel that the eWaste program goes a long way towards offering safe, green options for consumers to dispose of their obsolete electronics I can't help but yearn for the option to purchase ipods, phones, and computers that would last a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amy, a woman after my own yearning for the same!! Phones and gadgets that will last forever, not only the 2 years required of a contract!!!It's so hard to teach kids the value of only buying what you need and fixing things instead of simply throwing away and getting new. Thanks for the blog, I haven't been able to read it all yet but what I've read is so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete