Monday, September 6, 2010

Retail Revenge



Labor Day has become another one of those holidays that originally had a significant meaning but now has evolved (or deteriorated) into just another day that people have off from work or school. The first-ever Labor Day was in September of 1882 and was established "to celebrate the social and economic achievements of American workers," in the words of the Department of Labor. Now, let me just throw this out there to my faithful followers - When was the last time that any of us looked up from our BBQ pit on the first Monday of September and reflected on the American worker?

As with most holidays, Labor Day is now celebrated all over the country with back yard parties and by retailers who use it as an excuse to lure shoppers with the Almighty Bargain. Sales flyers were bursting from my Sunday newspaper - all of them advertising unbeatable prices in celebration of Labor Day. Hmmm....I wonder how valued all of the cashiers feel as they toil away on their special day?

I decided to take a stance against the exploitation of Labor Day by retailers today. My first stop was at Target. Equipped with my receipt dated September 2nd, I bellied up to the customer service desk and asked for a price adjustment (I figured using their lingo would work best) on the two twin sized comforters I had purchased less than a week before. While paging through the Sunday circular I noticed that the quilts had been marked down by $12. Since I bought two of them, the refund was $25.19 including tax. The clerk in the red shirt happily credited my card. Now, for my bold act of protest...

My hunch is that retailers offer the price adjustment policy in part to provide good customer service. In addition I believe that they gamble that few people will bother to track the difference between what they paid and the sale price. Most folks are just too busy! Finally, if a customer (like me) does make a return trip for a refund on the difference the retailers hedge their bets that said customer will wander around the store and spend the refund and then some. Well, they met their match today. I promptly pocketed my refund receipt and bolted for the parking lot. How do you like them apples Target?

While on my protest march around the Greater Portland area (ok, it was only two stops), I waltzed into the LL Bean outlet armed with two items - a pumpkin orange corduroy jacket in XXLT and a canvas passport/ticket holder - both with tags. I had no receipt (and no idea when they were purchased) but decided to live on the edge and go for the return. For those of you who live in Maine, you know that Bean's return policy is gracious and lenient. We are fairly frequent shoppers at the home of the Hunting Boot and rarely utilize the 100% guarantee. But, with a downsize on my mind and a bone to pick with retailers who were open on Labor Day I chose to put the return policy to the test. As I stood at the LL Bean counter waiting as the sales lady rang up my return items, I had a pang of guilt. While I had no receipt, I had a hunch that Dajuan and/or I had paid very little for these items. However, per their policy Beans had to refund me the price featured on the tag. As the clerk computed a grand total she asked if I planned on shopping today. I launched into a small dissertation about my downsizing challenge and my need to get rid of these items. I added that I was protesting the labor day sales and therefore was not going to be lured by the signs that declared "take an EXTRA 50% off today!" She pointed out that I was still putting her to work on Labor Day by returning items. Good point. But, my intent was to take money from the retailers instead of padding their pockets. In any case, I walked away from the store with a gift card for $59.75. Not a bad haul for 10 minutes work.

And that concludes my Labor Day rebellion. Perhaps next year I will get even bolder and more outspoken. I must say though, I don't completely object to our current version of this holiday. Dajuan cooked up some pretty mean BBQ ribs today!


Just to clarify - I only counted the $59.75 towards my downsizing profit. The price adjustment was just for fun!

3 comments:

  1. Man...I was going to use that jacket this Halloween and the passport/ticket holder for your birthday...OH WELL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also protested the labor day sales this year, but it was mostly because I was WORKING from 7:30AM-8:45PM and had no time to hit the bargains. Apparently many sick/injured people in Gorham were also protesting the sales because they all came to the clinic, we broke our record, 51 patients that day! Talk about laboring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy - so sorry that your protest included work. At least you did it in record breaking style!

    ReplyDelete