Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Price Tag Swapping

Some of us need to downsize and others don't. My friend Mel falls into the later bucket. She is one of those folks whose house looks like a magazine cover on her worst day and who maxes out her Goodwill donation every tax year. She is the friend who sold us the bunk-y-beds a few weeks back as mentioned in this entry. What I failed to mention is that she got rid of the beds before her hubby even had a chance to build the new sleeping quarters for her youngest. This lady is a master downsizer without a need to rant about her donations and gift giving in a crazy blog. Did I mention she is also an amazing friend and confidant?

When she called today to tell me about her preparations for a big yard sale this weekend I chuckled and asked what she would be selling. According to Mel there is a huge pile of goods waiting in her garage to be stickered for the big day. I guess this just highlights for me that we all have too much stuff and are in a constant battle to funnel our goods in and out of the door. What a crazy merry-go-round that never stops! Having our yard sale under our belt, I offered to lend our collapsible tables to Mel and Scott to provide them with ample display space. With downsizing in mind I also gifted my dear friend with our leftover price tags - no need to buy a fresh pack! As I handed over the labels Mel expressed concern about how to price things appropriately. I gave her some sage yard sale advice : figure out your goal - to make money or to get rid of stuff - and let your pricing be led by your desired outcome.

Feeling that my stickers and advice might not fly with my faithful followers as a bona fide downsize, I threw in a book I read over the summer for good measure. I have no doubt she'll breeze through it in the next few days, throw a 25 cent sticker on it and sell it in her sale on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment