Friday, September 3, 2010

The Dog Ate My Homework

My post for 9/2/2010


In keeping with my back to school theme I am using an excuse for not posting yesterday - the photo did not arrive in my email box until after I turned in for the night. How is that floating with you my faithful followers?

Shayla is entering the 5th grade this year and has a teacher who is new to our school. Mr. C was kind enough to open his classroom for the afternoon to allow parents and students to drop in for a meet and greet. Always eager to make a connection with the person who we'll be working with for the next 10 months, we took the sweaty jaunt over to Hall school in the 90 degree heat. Despite sweltering temperatures, the school was buzzing with teachers preparing for their pupils to arrive next week. Mr. C made a fabulous first impression with his gentle and easy manner and his jovial disposition. He spent close to an hour chatting with Shayla, Dajuan and I. I get the distinct impression that this guy loves his profession and that he loves kids even more.

This mini open house provided the perfect setting for a back to school themed downsize. As we headed out the door, I grabbed several books from the Eubanks Family Stacks (mentioned here and here) and tucked them under my arm. I asked Shayla to pose for a picture with the books thinking it would do irreparable damage to take a photo of she and her teacher during our initial meeting. She still rolled her eyes and sighed - a response I am becoming ever so familiar with these days.

Once in Mr. C's classroom, I clutched the books in my lap hoping for the right moment to offer my gift. I began to fear they would be deemed unnecessary as Mr. C detailed the various crates and shelves of literary selections in the classroom and then added that he had boxes full of books left to be unpacked. Being the daughter of an elementary teacher, I should have known better than to let such angst enter into my mind -teachers love books, period. As the conversation began to wind down I offered our gift to Mr. C. He graciously accepted them and showed great interest in my personal challenge and blog. He even insisted that we take a picture of he, Shayla, and the books with his camera and promised to email them to me. Poor Shayla, her worst embarrassing moment was realized. Luckily, she is too polite to give her brand new teacher the sigh and eye roll. That is reserved for me!

1 comment:

  1. Keep the teacher downsizes in mind, Amy. Any time you want to get rid of ANYTHING, you'll be able to find a teacher to take it.

    ReplyDelete