Monday, September 27, 2010

Unbooked

Books are certainly my go to downsize item just as Goodwill is my downsizing default location. With a mom who is a childrens literature buff and who has taught for nearly 25 years we have no choice but to possess an extensive library of our own. I have visited the Eubanks' Family Stacks several times in my first 58 days of this challenge and dear readers, I assure you today won't be my last.

As I packed up the mini van and headed for Hall School today I was equipped with a lightly used set of Fairy chapter books. With a to do list a mile long and already being behind schedule, I was happy to have a mundane donation locked and loaded as my downsize for the day. At the school, Ms. C the library assistant graciously accepted the set of books promising to either put them into circulation or save them for the spring book sale. After checking this off my list, I popped into Ms. D's classroom (she is a faithful follower and has appeared in the blog twice already) to say hi. As we conversed, she asked me if the honeymoon period of the challenge had worn off yet. Ahhh, my weary expression must have said it all. She read me like a book. You see, it is not that I am at a loss for things to get rid of nor am I bored with the task and the writing. I am simply swamped with obligations, appointments, and responsibilities - call me overbooked. There are days that this challenge adds that one extra task to an already full plate. What I explained to Ms. D is that my weariness is just part of the journey. And persevering through the valleys is what will make it all worth it in 307 days when my challenge comes to an end.

I am not the only one feeling the weight of being over scheduled. The girls juggle school, chores, soccer, and piano lessons on a weekly basis. In a bit of serendipity, on this very day where we all began with a bit of drudgery for what the week ahead has in store, it rained all afternoon. Soccer practice was canceled and homework assignments were light. As I worked out my stress through culinary craftsmanship in the kitchen, the three girls played with their Little People village on our living room floor. Together they laughed and played, creating an imaginary town for the plastic people to live, work and play. On this suddenly rainy "unbooked" afternoon, a few hours of leisure was just what the doctor ordered.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Amy,
    You are prophetic. Weariness is a part of so many journeys...travel on brave pilgrim!

    Ms D

    ReplyDelete