Thursday, September 16, 2010

Running For Office


Today's downsize took some running around. After a day at work that allowed for little sitting time, I was on the road to pick up Kendra, grab the big kids, and then race to my donation destination only to circle back for the annual Back to School BBQ. I imagine that the candidates feel the same way as the race for governor heats up and they travel the state to woo voters. Of course, one candidate gets his sustenance from sipping tea and he seems to be experienced at flitting from one location to the next while establishing residency in 2 states. Anyway, I digress.

While cleaning out clutter corner and the office space (noted here) I pulled several items that were once an integral part of my Mary Kay business. No longer in use, the fax machine, refurbished copier, and a tall pile of plastic file holders were deemed yard-salable. Apparently people aren't starting businesses these days (the current business climate in Maine is sad, isn't it dear candidates?) because no one snagged these items at the our sale. Believing that I could find them a meaningful home, I have stowed them in the garage ever since then.

I placed a call to Ruth's Reusable Resources - if you aren't familiar with Ruth's, it is an amazing resource for teachers- in hopes of dropping my discards off to her. It turns out that the only thing of value is my stackable plastic file holders. Go figure. I guess I should have taken my copier and fax machine to the guys at eWaste Maine! Ruth's idea for my outdated equipment was to take it to Goodwill. Ahhh, the great downsizing default. That will have to wait.

With the van loaded and the kids in tow I raced to Ruth's and dropped of my donation of binders and file folder trays. While there I noted the towers of stackable file trays for sale. It seems there is an abundance of these useless organizers floating around. Let's hope some of the teacher's that shop at Ruth's find them useful!

As we finished our multiple stop journey, we landed at Hall School. The teachers (who are sure to be tired from their first two weeks in school) dutifully handed out hot dogs, burgers, and chips to their students and families. Meanwhile, the girls and I enjoyed the companionship of our Hall school friends. A competitive soccer game for the kids and some political bantering with my fabulous friends. What more could we ask of a Thursday evening? Oh I know, we could ask for a news flash announcing that all of the gubernatorial candidates have dropped out and we can vote for new ones! Alas, that is too much to ask. I guess I'll just keep trying to fix the world's problems with downsizing, one lonely item at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment