Friday, September 17, 2010

Fabric of Our Lives





Momma told me there'd be days like this. It is Friday of the first full week back in our fall routine. Phew - glad it is almost behind me! After a glorious few days getting things in order at home, fitting in workouts, and spending extra time with my Kendra Dee, Thursday and Friday have been rather hectic. School activities, soccer, and two days of work for me have almost put me under. But, not a minute too soon Friday evening has arrived. The girls and I shared pizza, salad, root beer and wine (only me of course) while we waited for Dad to come home. We laughed and shared tales of our day. All the while, I had that "I haven't downsized yet" feeling lurking in the back of my mind.

As we wrapped up dinner and the dancing on the carpet began ( an evening ritual for the girls) Shayla looked at me and said, "we could go through my t-shirt drawer. I'm sure there is a downsize in there!". I was completely moved by the fact that she was thinking of me and supporting my commitment. As I agreed she flew up the stairs and tossed down the contents of her drawer. In a flash we folded and sorted her shirts. Kendra was the benefactor of an outgrown Rice University shirt and the rest of the discards are piled by the door for Goodwill in the morning (I'm sensing a Friday night pattern here). This is a rather mundane downsize.

What is entirely special to me is the spirit of my children. They, no doubt, perceived the weariness of my soul and yet they (and especially Shayla) found it in their hearts to sing, dance and downsize in support of their mom. To me, this is the essence of love. I'll take it.

3 comments:

  1. Well if you run out of Owl shirts I can always get you better looking Cougar ones!!! lol... and tell Dajuan I said that!
    Love,
    April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll pass it on April! Dajuan would love to see his girls in Cougar shirts:0)

    ReplyDelete