Saturday, August 14, 2010

Nearly Stalled


After a glorious day at Crescent Beach with many of my favorite people, I asked Dajuan to swing by Kids Unlimited so I could redeem my pink slip in exchange for cash for the kiddie apparel that I dropped off yesterday. With anticipation, I waited as the lady with tattoos on her ears went to the back room for my check and/or unwanted items. She returned with one 3/4 full bag of goods and as I thanked her she said, "hold on, there is another bag, and a check too". After all of my careful sorting, I couldn't believe there were two 3/4 full bags of rejected items. The consolation came in the form of a check made out to me - for $40. Not bad considering that the buyer only took about 1/4 of my stuff!

As I dragged my bags back into the van Dajuan suggested that we just drop it all off at Goodwill - which I had pledged I would do. I said, "no, there are some things in here that I can give to someone!" You see, dear readers, this is the danger in resale dealings. I can be tempted into housing the rejects instead of just sending them on their merry way. After a bit of internal battling, I regained my downsizing wits and promptly resorted the rejects into "Goodwillables" and "pass-on-ables". I was careful to not even carry the bags over the threshold. They remained in my mudroom and will be delivered to their respective destinations tomorrow.

After all of this stressful, profit driven downsizing I was ready for some pure unadulterated giving. For fun, I stuck a mini book of quotes about women in my purse as we headed out for a family dinner at Sebago Brewing Company. I came across this little trinket book while looking through The Eubanks Family Stacks earlier today. In an act of random kindness, I left the book on top of the toilet paper dispenser in the ladies room at the restaurant. I got a little rush of excitement as I thought of the next customer finding the book and wondering why it was there. Perhaps they'll peruse it while using the facilities and then leave it for the next person. Maybe they'll stick it in their purse and figure it was a random gift from a stranger. Either option is pleasing to me! However tiny this gesture seems to you, my readers, it represents to me the beauty of freely ridding myself of something each and every day. When is the last time you left a gift in the stall of the bathroom? Ok, don't answer that.....

3 comments:

  1. I love that you left something in a bathroom stall! Excellent end to an already successful downsizing day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely awesome. I only wish I had thought of that. Definitely one of the best downsizing ideas ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once found a downsized book in an airport waiting area. As a delay extended on and on and I knew I'd be running out of reading material before reaching my final destination, I was most grateful.

    And if you're curious, the book was 'The Pilot's Wife', which talks about a wife's journey after her husband's plane crashes--perhaps not the best to be reading on the plane, but ok. :-)

    I like your bathroom stall idea though, as well.

    ReplyDelete