Wednesday, August 11, 2010

3 Rights Rule

Today, I chose to stop by a children's resale shop that I have driven by many times. I wanted to scope out their policies and see if it might be worth making an appointment with their buyer. After chatting with the salesperson I concluded that Kids Unlimited on Warren Avenue has great potential for some of the items hiding in the closets and blue totes at my house. Had I only stopped by to do this "research" I might have been at risk of not downsizing an item today. Never fear faithful followers! I am on my game! Tucked in my purse was a N.W.T. dress on a plastic hanger. I whipped it out before leaving the shop and asked if the salesperson would consider buying the item. She said I could stop by on Friday for the cold hard cash. I filled out some paper work and called it a day...well almost...
While digging around in Kendra's closet for the dress, I came across a "Rangely Lakes" fleece in a plastic bag. I recalled that my dear friend Erica had loaned it to me when Kendra was born. As luck would have it, I spent time with Erica today and was able to hand it back with a thank you.
Now some of you faithful followers might be wondering how I could be preaching about "paying it forward" in yesterday's entry only to write about selling kids clothes to a resale shop today. Please allow me to explain. While accumulating hand-me-downs seems to be fairly easy, passing them on can be a bit more difficult. The clothes have to fit the "3 rights rule" - right sex, right size, right season. Inevitably there are a bunch of useful clothes that don't match any of my favorite tots' specifications. These are the clothes that will go to the resale shop - and the rejects will land at Goodwill (or the kiducation bin in a pinch). My only dilemma as I begin to rid our home of outgrown clothes is how to handle any profit. With so many items coming from friends with a giving spirit I wonder if etiquette would dictate that I pay them back in cash. I'll leave that as a question to my readers...what is the RIGHT thing to do with the cash?

5 comments:

  1. I say keep the cash. Downsizing takes effort for which you should be compensated. If you never resold those items which were given to you, you would never had to ask that question. Keep it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree....you are certainly working hard for your money!!! :) love your posts too btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two votes in for keeping the cash - thanks for weighing in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came home from camp and got internet for the first time in weeks and saw your new blog. I love it! If Reed is the Master, does that make you the Mastress? I love reading your entries. I sat down and read them all. Thanks for the entertainment and inspiration! I will now go search my office for a receipt from 3 months ago....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for catching my blog. Glad you like it! Hope it inspires you like Reed's blog inspired me. How did it go with the receipt?

    ReplyDelete