Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Free Enter-prize




Women go crazy for Free stuff - it is a well known fact. So today I took advantage of that reality and sprung some free Mary Kay goodies on my coworkers at the hospital. As I punched in at 5:55am I set up my pink box of overstocks and discontinued products and put a sign out that said "Free! Please help yourself!" I left it on the bench in front of my locker and went to the unit to greet my first patient.

As one of my favorite coworkers (let's call her Suzy Shopper) arrived on the unit she said "sorry I am late, I had to go through your box of free stuff! Is this your downsize for today?". Then she opened her purse and revealed that she had found SEVERAL items to call her own.

I couldn't have been happier. First of all, this meant that someone could use these items that I had been shuffling from shelf to shelf for too long. Second of all, she validated that my downsizing challenge blog is being read by people other than my "faithful followers". It was only 6:10am and I was ready to declare the day as a success!

As I headed to my coffee break at 0800am I peered in the pink box and found that there were only 3 items remaining. Wow! I went into this downsize assuming that I might give away a few things and have to trash the rest. So much for my theory....by lunchtime every single eyeshadow, powder, liner and cheek color had vanished. Which brings me to another well known fact - if you put just about anything in a common area of a hospital, it will be consumed. I thought for a long time that this only applied to food, apparently it is true for cosmetics too!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like hospitals and schools are similar that way. Do you still sell MK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jo - I still sell MK on a fairly low key basis. Never enough sources of income I say!

    ReplyDelete