Monday, August 9, 2010

Overheated




It wasn't just my sun-stroked Shayla that was overheated today. Oh no...it was the shredder that was working too hard in this oppressive, wet 89 degree heat. With the help of Kiera, I was able to shred the customer records that I have kept since the inception of my Mary Kay business in 2002. Despite paying an assistant to convert my customer files to electronic files in 2005, I have clung to these black binders full of each client's vital information (including their favorite shade of blush or foundation) for 5 years. While each 4x8 pink card represents the work I put forth to make my home-based business a success, there is simply no reason beyond nostalgia to hang on to them anymore. And so, today Kiera shredded until there were no more. She persevered through 3 bouts of overheating by the mighty shredding machine and managed to create a large paper bag full of tiny paper pieces. Tonight they are in the recycling bin waiting for Friday's pick up. Unfortunately, the binders were a bit too tattered for reuse so they landed in the blue trash bag and are headed for a landfill.

As I peered at the corner shelf that housed my black binders for all of those years, I hoped to feel a sense of relief in their absence. Unfortunately, there is much more to be purged from my "MK corner" in the basement - this downsize was just the tip of the iceberg. Speaking of icebergs....one sure would make a cozy sleeping spot tonight!

4 comments:

  1. Good riddance! Looks like Keira had some fun too. Keep up the good work, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See... I knew the girls would get into the Downsizing spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. im loving this blog. its.... inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks dbkayak, Jo and Reed. I am sure that having faithful followers will be the key to sticking it out!

    ReplyDelete