Monday, August 23, 2010

Recertified



Last fall my oldest daughter Shayla was assigned the task of writing about her hero. Shay chose Great Grammie Dyer as the person who inspires her. She wrote a mini essay that clearly sends the message that it is the simple things about her relationship with Great Grammy - tea and cookies on the porch, feeding the birds, and an "awesome"house - that form her admiration. This was one of those school assignments that I deemed a "keeper". Infact, Shay and I decided to give it to Gram as part of a Christmas present.

Obviously , Grammie was deeply touched by Shayla's tribute. She vowed to frame the essay and hang it in a special place. Unfortunately, she was stumped by the odd shaped paper and her lack of access to stores (Grammy has never driven in her lifetime). When I was visiting last weekend she again expressed her frustration with not having it framed. I took it back from her and promised to find just the right trimming.

In a downsizing "frame" of mind (I know, very punny) I plucked a frame off of the basement wall that displays a certificate with my name and some recognition for being a PTO secretary. Perfect! It even has a white mat that will assist my reframing project. In less than 10 minutes I replaced my certificate with a much more noteworthy document. I think Grammy will love the finished product when she receives it in the mail.

Just think how times have changed. There is no question that the framing project would have sent me to Michael's with a coupon in hand in the past. Now, it is practically instinctual to look around my house and find a way to give something away. Perhaps that will earn me a certificate of some sort, but in the meantime I am happy to honor both Grammy for being a hero and Shay for her thoughtful dedication.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I've reviewed your blog, and I need to weigh in on a few things.

    -Good work.
    -I agree with Reed's assessment of process learning. Writing is a fantastic way to engage yourself.
    -I learned in grad school that the female form of the verb 'Master' is 'Mistress.'
    -It was your idea to get a pet for your girls. I suggested a hamster.
    -I've never hated blogging. I'm deeply suspicious of the motives of most bloggers, rarely read any blog, and never read one regularly. I resent blogging as a matter of necessity for most writers.
    -I'm thinking of starting a blog.
    -Leave your puns naked. You don't need quotes or parentheses to show them off. Let your readers dust them off and sneeze.
    -I also have never claimed to hate facebook. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's creepy, and have no interest in it.
    -I'll probably be joining facebook for my work at the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother Chad -
    Thanks for working through my work. Your assessments are helpful and your insight always appreciated. Looking forward to both your blog and your facebook page!

    ReplyDelete