Saturday, August 7, 2010

Peppermint Bliss

Note: Written old school style (pen and paper) on August 7th - there is no internet connection in Aurora, Maine!



Dajuan and I are celebrating 11 years of marriage today with a low budget 24 hour getaway to my dad's fraternity brother's rustic fishing camp. We left all 3 girls at Nana and Poppa's house for the night - this is Kendra's FIRST time! After packing a few essentials and some tasty provisions we headed for Route 9. A 40 minute ride landed us in a little piece of heaven in Aurora, Maine. We slogged down a path with our stuff and came upon a homey cabin complete with mouse droppings, cobwebs, and ample fishing gear. No electricity, no flush, no frills. Most notably absent is any sort of noise and confusion. The Fortier's "summer breeze" camp is the definition of tranquility. And, so I am left with my hubby, some wine, and 24 hours of peace.

For the second time in the first week of my challenge I am faced with a day on which it would be easier to throw in the towel than to continue. But, I am resigned to make it through this challenge... I will persevere. Today, I've decided to leave behind a small donation for others who might visit "summer breeze".

Please allow me to give you some background on today's item of choice. A while back I discovered an extra item in my bag after shopping at Hannaford - Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap. After checking my receipt I realized that I didn't pay for it and assumed it was left behind by the customer before me and then put in my bag. I felt no urgency to return it so like any good hoarder I threw it into the bathroom cabinet. Take note, dear readers, THIS is the very behavior in need of modification!

I recently learned (in a random conversation with my brother Chad) that this peppermint soap is perfect for bathing in the lake because it is eco-friendly. Our weekend plans presented the perfect opportunity to pack this orphaned soap. Unfortunately, with a crisp Northwest breeze and temperatures in the 60's the bath is not happening. Instead, I'll leave this soap here at Summer Breeze where it has a chance of being put to good use. After all, Long Lake and all of its' natural beauty deserves to be left untainted and unharmed.

Tonight Dajuan and I will enjoy steak dinner and wine. I think we will toast to our 11 years together and I'll add a second toast for shedding one more unnecessary item from our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Doc Bronner's! Excellent stuff... makes the perfect gift. Well done and happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very proud of you Amy, anxiously following your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete