Friday, August 13, 2010

Resalery : the art of resaling


There is a certain art to earning dollars for kids clothes at resale shops. I have learned the ins and outs of trading kiddie apparel for cash over the years, so I was no rookie when I stepped into Kids Unlimited the other day. Knowing that I have heaps of goods to unload from the depths of my closets and basement I wanted to get off on the right foot. Thus, my first drop off (on Wednesday) was a high end, n.w.t garment. The key to higher returns is to make the buyer believe that my used stuff comes from a clean, high end home. With the ground work laid, I nonchalantly made a follow up appointment (for today) knowing that my second jettison would be larger and perhaps of lesser quality and appeal.

Today I darted into the store with little time between obligations so I was all business. I brought in a "sure thing" big item - a nifty crawl through thing-a-ma-jig that Kendra never really cared for. As I set it on the floor (assuming the sale) I announced that I would be right back with the bags of clothing that remained in my van. Before leaving home I had poured over the items trying to discern between the re-salables and the Goodwill-ables. From past experience I have learned that the faintest stain can deter the buyer. They own these special lights that are so bright that they make an interrogation bulb appear dim and they reveal each spatter. I had whittled my goods down to 2 kitchen sized trash bags with the hope that they would buy them all. Unfortunately, my confidence was shot down as I reentered the store. The saleslady with tattoos on her ears said "you might as well take that thing (as she tossed her head towards my used crawl-a-ma-jig) back. I have one over there (tossing her head towards a corner of the store) that has been sitting there for months." Now I was on my heels with my "sure thing" REJECTED! I stuttered my way through my offering of the two bags of clothes, signed the paperwork and promised to return tomorrow for the bid from the buyer.

Before leaving, I located Wednesday's receipt in my newly organized purse and asked if the buyer (doesn't this conjure up an image of the banker on Deal or No Deal?) had made an offer. The deal was $8 cash or $9 credit. Faithful followers, I am sure that you know which I chose - that is right, the cold hard cash. $9 credit to buy another being's stuff? Not this downsizer!

Feeling a bit humbled and not quite as savvy as I had imagined myself to be, I took the $8 and ran. Tomorrow, I'll bring them my pink slip and ask for the offer. I'll take the cash of course and the discards will go to Goodwill - not back home with me! No matter what the monetary result is, the true net gain of this adventure for me is the satisfaction I feel each time I rid my home of another pile of stuff that we don't need.

2 comments:

  1. Always take the cash!!!! Try Bull Moose Music. They offer the same deal -- cash or credit. Reed tried to convince me once -- not sure he was serious -- to take the credit. NO DEAL!! Always take the cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Amy. That store thinks they're too good for anybody! Try the other one in Falmouth or Scarborough-the name is slipping from me at the moment-next time!

    ReplyDelete