Friday, August 6, 2010

Downsizer Desperation

- this entry was hand written on Thursday but Gram's dial up connection would not cooperate for me to post....
Let's just face it - this challenge has proven to be relatively easy for the first 4 days. I have been living like a lady of leisure with my "big kids" visiting Nana and Poppa and my husband traveling the state spinning basketballs on kids' fingers. Aside from working and caring for Kendra, I had plenty of time and energy to put into getting this challenge off on the right foot. Then I woke up on Day 5 - back to life, back to reality -while packing up the minivan (in 85 degree heat and 100% humidity) to head Northeast I felt a twinge of panic as I realized I had not planned a downsize for the day. With my patience wearing thin after wrestling with a bike rack and saving Kendra from choking on apple skin I was ready to go. But what would I get rid of? Would I just skip today? Then, my pride and determination kicked in. I couldn't call uncle already. Afterall, the Master ( as I'll refer to my cousin Reed, the original downsizer) downsized through all kinds of stressful days and even a move across the country. I quickly surveyed the garage in search of something to unload. My eyes landed on a Reny's bag perched on top of a barrel. I remembered that it was full of clothes rejected and/or outgrown by Shay and Kiera. Many months ago I stuck that same bag in the van and proceeded to drive it all around the city in hopes that the clothes would find their way to Goodwill. My guess is that they never reached their destination and Dajuan stuck them on the barrell as he cleaned out the van in preparation for our camping trip last month. Perfect! I could drop them by Goodwill on my way out of town. BUT, Goodwill is not on my way out of town. Then I recalled that there was some sort of drop bin in the parking lot of Marden's that WAS on my way. Even better.
And so, I swung into the parking lot and found the "Kiducation" dumpster. As I threw my discards into the slot I read the slogan " we turn used clothing into new kids through eduction". Sounds good to me - especially at my time of downsizing desperation.
As I drove to my Gram's house I felt a sense of accomplishment for pushing through and getting the job done. While dumping used clothes into a donation bin wasn't some sort of monumental downsizing moment it was a great reminder about the fundamental reason for the challenge. It boils down to ridding myself of the things that I have allowed to clutter my space and my mind. And, more importantly, undoing the habit of passively accumulating and holding onto things that have no purpose or function in my life.

4 comments:

  1. Hey wondering what happened to Thursday? Good job downsizing on a busy day. I have to say Reed is the "Master" -- I mean he even downsized while I was in labor and the day Chase was born. Don't know how he managed that -- I sure wasnt' aware of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly don't deserve the title of "Master" (as much as I may love it -- in fact, I'm having t-shirts printed tomorrow), but I certainly can connect with desperation downsizing. Those are the days that prove we are really committed. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are proving to be my faithful followers - thanks! It turns out that my "desperation downsize" was on Thursday. I could not get Gram's dial up connection to work so my entry was hand written and I just threw it on my blog tonight. I just did another entry for today....
    I think I may need some mobile technology for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I see. I think Reed had ome difficulty with Grammie's connection when we were there too.

    ReplyDelete