Friday, August 6, 2010

It's puzzling

My Grammy is one of the "dying breed" of collectors previously mentioned in my pawn shop post. As Kendra and I spent the last 24 hours with her I had the time to chat, sip tea, laugh, and just generally get filled up by her love. I also had the time to look around her house with a new set of eyes - those of a downsizer. Because she is a collector of many things - coins, cut glass baskets, bears, and many sentimental knick knacks - it would be easy to imagine a house in disarray. But, as I perused her home I was struck by the neatness and order. Infact, one could argue that despite my downsizing prowess my home is much more cluttered than Gram's abode. This was all good perspcetive for me as I find myself thumping my chest as I celebrate my new found affinity for getting rid of things. Perhaps "collections" aren't the antichrist. Afterall, Grammy enjoys her special things - that has to be worth something.
I didn't share with Grammy that I had taken on this persoanl challenge. I figured one grandchild getting rid of stuff over the last year was enough for her to swallow, she didn't need two. So, I quietly slipped her a few items before ending our lovely visit. I didn't bother with a detailed explaination about the passing of the torch from Reed to me. Instead, I gave her a puzzle that was unopened ( I believe it made it's way from my neighbor's yard sale to my game closet 3 years ago ) and I returned a digital picture printer that she had loaned me 2 years ago. She thanked me for both.
These items may not be the flashiest downsizes, but I have a feeling that my visit with Gram will impact my journey in a significant way. I hope it has left me with a bit of humility that I can carry with me as I plod along through this challenge.
Perhaps getting rid of stuff isn't a superior way of life but just one of many ways to live.

3 comments:

  1. How nice you got to visit with Grammie. Please tell her we said hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always fun to spend time with Gram. But, Amy, I'd question just how fully committed she is to all her collections. Last time we were there, we got into an interesting discussion about how much she "loved" her ladybug collection. It turns out that people who give her all those collectables may have overestimated her love for little red bugs with black spots...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Reed, she does have a distaste for the ladybug collection. I don't think she has the heart to get rid of them for fear of insulting the woman who started the whole thing. One collection she seems to treasure the most is her photo gallery of kids, grandkids, and great-grands. Can't say I blame her there - we are a pretty special bunch!

    ReplyDelete