Thursday, August 12, 2010

Good Rodents


It is no secret to those who know me that I am not a pet lover. I am able to snuff out the pleas for a cat or dog quickly because I am allergic to both. It was not so easy to dodge owning the other popular 4 legged friend - the hamster. My brother decided a few years ago that a hamster was the perfect birthday gift for Shayla and Kiera. Despite my grumbling, we housed our hamster Cinnamon for 2 years. Sadly, she passed away from natural causes (although the size of the tumor on her abdomen was supernatural) on Shayla's birthday last year. It really was quite a dramatic ending to a fairly happy hamster life. Perhaps because of some lasting grief, we have stored Cinnamon's leftover supplies in our garage since her departure. Today, over 1 year later, I was able to give some of those rodent necessities to our friends Sam and Jack.
While visiting for a few hours yesterday, Jack mentioned that they have a brand new guinea pig. The news of their new arrival swung me into action today. While picking up Kiera and Kendra from a day with Jack and Sam I handed over some shavings in a great plastic storage bin as well as a package of left over malt-ball-like rodent treats. I tried to give them toys for the little guy as well but apparently guinea pigs don't do well with hamster sized wheels and tunnels. Anyway, if you check out the picture you will see that they were beaming with joy after receiving this surprise "gift" from me. THIS is what downsizing is all about!

4 comments:

  1. One of the unrecognized challenges of blogging is coming up with creative titles for posts. You nailed this title. "Good Rodents"??? That's hillarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Few - glad it worked. I thought it was pretty funny but wasn't sure anyone would get it...
    By the way - the blogging is the most difficult part of this entire thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I am laughing, and at the same time wondering if anyone would want our gently used hamster accessories, haha! Mario did not make it thru our first racing trip this year, he must have missed us too much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giving away to kids is always great when they are so excited. Love it. On another note, rodents are icky pets. And Cinnamon made it 2 years -- that's amazing for a hamster.

    ReplyDelete