Saturday, August 21, 2010

True Gifts


As I rummaged through the Eubanks Family Stacks (mentioned here and here ) I stumbled upon a book - Gift From the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. I began to put it in the category of gifty books "in need of downsizing" before I opened the cover and found an inscription dated May 1998. "Dear Amy, Remember please that this journey is only the beginning. Love, Mom". I was just graduating from nursing school at that time and was headed to Milwaukee with a sparkling new diamond on my left hand and dreams of married life occupying my mind. Luckily, I thought enough of the gift to carry it with me all of these years. Until now though, the message and title had not lured me in enough to read the book.

As I headed out the door on a small journey for the weekend, I threw Gift From the Sea into my bag in hopes of catching some peaceful moments to ponder this gift from my mom. My trip took me on a bus to Bangor to meet Mom and Gram. The three of us spent the afternoon and evening by taking in a movie (Eat, Pray, Love) and dinner in celebration of Gram's 79th birthday. We had a wonderful time sharing our reflections on the movie and comparing it to the book. After a delightful meal we ate a delicious homemade blueberry pie that Mom had whipped up early in the day. As we ended the night we all embraced and agreed that is was so very special to spend time together.

Through the weekend I have digested the words of Gift From the Sea and have realized how very poignant the message is at this very moment. The author writes (in 1955) about the truths she derives from a trip to the beach on a short vacation in solitude. She elequently touches on some of the very difficult issues in most women's lives - love, marriage, balance, contentment and peace. It is quite peculiar to me that I have not chosen to turn the pages of this book for over 12 years and yet the time that I read it is on the first journey I have taken by myself in a very long time. I left the three girls and Dajuan to celebrate with 2 of the most important women in my life. They, like the book, have so much wisdom about life, love, and family.

It has been a rejuvinating and fulfilling 36 hour trip. I took in every moment of time with my Gram and Mom, I breathed the salty air at Newberry Neck, and I felt peaceful - without a worry about a meal, an errand, a bill, an appointment. I just WAS for awhile.

While this little getaway was centered around spending time with Gram for her birthday - let's face it, 79 is a big deal!- it is funny that I feel that I was the receiver of the gift. To be in the presence of two women who have raised children, been married for many years, and have remained lovely both inside and out is simply inspiring. Especially at a point in life when it all can feel so very overwhelming.

Another item I packed for my trip was a picture frame that I had picked up at Marden's ( I know from the bright orange sticker) when I was tempted by the Almighty Bargainsome time ago. It had been sitting in "clutter corner" since then as I waited to come across the perfect picture to sit inside the frame that says "Nana you brighten my day". I must have thought at the time that it would be a great gift for my mom. That's the problem though. If it was such a great gift it wouldn't have sat in my basement for a couple years. Would my mom ever treasure this frame that was created by Hallmark to supposedly convey my family's love and appreciation of Nana? I don't think so. And so, I brought the frame, with an imperfect picture inside and will leave it for mom so that she will discover it after my departure. She'll smile and think, that is cute. But I am convinced that she and Gram will feel the gift of the time we spent together on a much deeper level, much as I do.

I can only hope that my girls look to me as I look to my mother and grandmother. In my heart I wish for a love between us that is felt so deeply that no Hallmark artist or writer can begin to do it justice. I wish for a true gift of relationship - like the one I share with my Gram and my Mom.

2 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful. What a gift you all are to each other. Downsize everything but family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful tribute to three fabulous women! I included you in the count, obviously. Reed and I used and excerpt from Gift from the Sea in our wedding. My mother loved that book too. Thanks for sharing. You are lucky to have these two ladies in your life and I can see how much you appreciate it! BTW -- got the childrpoofing package. Thank you. I've already put in the outlet stopper thingies.

    ReplyDelete