Thursday, August 19, 2010

Resale Revisited


Perhaps some of you, my faithful followers, remember the "crawl-a-ma-jig" that got rejected at the kids resale shop (in this entry). Well friends, much to my chagrin it has been hitching a ride in the back of the van ever sense dismissal day. Unlike the other rejected items, disposal of this plastic monstrosity was not easy . Goodwill and Salvation Army won't accept kids' equipment for the most part and it is too big for my trash bags (and would have ripped through one of those cheap blue bags in a heartbeat - can I get an "Amen" on that fellow Portlanders?). Not to mention, I don't want to be responsible for it ending up in a landfill! I could not think of a little crawler that would need it. I even contemplated giving it back to dear Amity (the person who originally gifted it to Kendra Dee) but didn't have the heart to dump the plastic problem on her. Until today I just tried to keep it out of my mind (and my rear view mirror for that matter).

Then, as I was heading South on route 1 in Falmouth with 30 minutes to spare I felt a gravitational pull towards Lots for Tots. Using my best guerilla marketing technique, I waltzed in without an appointment and asked for the sales lady to consider taking this plastic "crawl-a-ma-jig" off of my hands. After a little convincing, the buyer in the back room (a consistent presence in resale shops) offered me $4 on the spot. No mystery here - I took the money and ran! The truth is, I would have practically paid someone $4 to take it off of my hands.

This entire ordeal makes me wonder why we have created a demand for so many plastic gizmos for our children. Why have we decided to create a plastic paradise for babies from birth? And, what will the repercussions be from a health or an environmental standpoint? These purchases of gadgetry seem so harmless and heartfelt at the time...but over time one has to wonder if the gifts are a curse.

3 comments:

  1. Good questions regarding plastic. I think about that often. I am amazed, too, at how may toys kids have. I'd like to do something with Chase where he has only a few toys at once. Then "downsize" them for others. Keeping only the ones he really plays with. Do you think it's possible? As always, loving your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo! That looks like picnik.com in action.

    And, of course, I'm fully with you on the plastic. I really fear the long-term consequences of all of this plastic we have created. Keep being a voice of reason, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reed and Jo - I knew you'd chime in on my plastic paradise questions! Not sure how we can turn this trend around - perhaps one kiddo at a time!

    ReplyDelete