Thursday, October 21, 2010

BIg Shoes to Fill


Shayla and Kiera are paving the way for their little sister Kendra. In so many ways this makes Kendra a very lucky girl. Tonight as I sat through a 5th Grade Farewell planning meeting and then a PTO meeting at Hall school, I realized that Kendra will always have the legacy of her big sisters to live up to. While both of them will have moved on to middle school and high school when she enters kindergarten, there are sure to be teachers that will mistakenly call her Shayla or Kiera. There will also be expectations for her to be like them - as a student and a citizen. My suspicion is that while she holds a physical likeness to them, she will be a much different personality. Already she challenges us more than either Shay or KG did at her age. What fun the teachers will have in discovering this slightly more spunky Eubanks girl!

Tonight I am downsizing some clothing and outgrown rain boots. I'll drop them off to our friend Olivia in the morning. As I had Kendra step into the boots for a fun photo-op I realized that it may be more than clutter control that is forcing me to get rid of these items instead of saving them for our little Dee. Maybe, I am sending a message that she doesn't have to try to fill her big sister's shoes - she only has to trod her own unique path!

No comments:

Post a Comment