Saturday, October 9, 2010

Gram is Top Drawer

Gram and Mom arrived today for a visit with Dajuan, the girls and I. We all love these visits and value the precious time with 2 of our favorite people! As I mentioned in an earlier post my Gram is a collector by nature. Yet she has a strong ability to organize and keep things orderly. It is really a striking combination of attributes!

After a short run in a the brisk fall air this afternoon, I entered my kitchen to find the contents of two of my most disorderly drawers splayed out on my counter. Gram was busily sorting and reorganizing my kitchen gadget drawer and my junk drawer. She had already tackled the silverware drawer and made it look like new! I had little choice but to push up my sleeves and dig in along side of my grandmother. We chuckled and sorted through endless treasures that had nestled deep into the comforts of these spaces. At the end of it all, I had a large pile of trash, a small assortment of cookie cutters and utensils to give to Goodwill, and various manuals and scraps of paper that hit the blue bin. Gram had tackled two drawers that I have neglected for years and also have avoided for the past 70 days despite their downsizability. Thank goodness for dear old Gram!

I was left with two burning questions after this purge of useless clutter - why do I designate a drawer as a "junk drawer" and then resent its very existence? And, what in the world would I do without my Gram to straighten my stuff all out?

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amy, If we all could only get rid of the "junk" drawer! This post brought back such fond memories of my "Memere". Though she's not here now to help me with the "junk" we used to make molasses cookies together and I still use her recipe now when I nake them for my kids. How lucky you're girls are to have both a grandmother and a great grandmother! Treasure all of those moments and take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete