Sunday, October 24, 2010

Seasonably Cool Sunday

Today was the first Sunday since Labor Day that we have been able to relax at home for the afternoon. Soccer ended yesterday and basketball games don't begin until mid November. For the next few weekends we are free to rake leaves and button down the hatches in preparation for winter.

With a bit of idle time on our hands, Dajuan enjoyed a workout and grilled some yummy steaks from Karter Farm, Kendra took a long nap, Shayla and Kiera baked a batch of cookies all by themselves, and I took a run after a complete closet and dresser overhaul.

Fall is in full swing and yet my wardrobe has been straddling two seasons. Daily I pluck warm threads from my blue tub full of winter clothes while my capris and tanks still occupy my bureau and hangers. It is as if I fear that a 90 degree day is lurking in the forecast. Today, I believe the spare time and the raw, overcast 45 degree day finally nudged me to pack away the summer duds in favor of my cords and sweaters. Unlike my girls, I do not have outgrown outfits to pass on with each season (thank goodness!) but there are always a few items that need to be pulled from circulation. You know, the white t-shirts with yellowed pits or the shorts that are a bit out of style after 10 years. Attacking my closet change-over with extra zeal thanks to the downsizing challenge, I culled my wardrobe in less than an hour and produced 1 small bag of clothes for the trash (hey - some things are even unsuitable for charity) and a larger shopping bag that will go to Goodwill tomorrow.

It is amazing what satisfaction the entire clothes switchover provides. The uncertainty of seasonal transition is rough for a gal like me who thrives on order and predictability. Or maybe I am feeling extra cozy tonight because of the time we enjoyed today as a family of five hanging out in the comforts of our home, baking cookies, playing, and feasting on yummy food. Whatever it is, I relish this feeling because in very predictable fashion the mania of Monday morning will be here in a wink.

1 comment:

  1. Downsizing aside, you sure paint a cozy picture of domestic bliss in the Eubanks household. I want some cookies, too!

    ReplyDelete