Sunday, October 31, 2010

Taking Candy From a Baby




I love the costume part of Halloween. The candy part is what gets to me. As you may have gathered I am fairly into yummy healthy food. And while I don't label any food choices as "bad" I try to teach moderation when it comes to sugary "treats". Halloween and moderation don't go hand in hand so each year I build up a bit of anxiety as I face the mountains of candy and the situation it leaves me in as a parent. Typically, Shayla and Kiera indulge a bit for a few days after Halloween then the candy sits in their rooms until I declare it is time to toss it. With Kendra joining the trick or treat game this year we have an additional mountain of candy to handle and a two year old who doesn't understand moderation. How very enchanting.

This Halloween we invited a group of friends over to hang out in the front yard by a fire and to sip apple cider and share a few non-candy snacks. It all sounded good in theory until several said friends showed up with their candy and dropped it in our bucket of goodies. While we enjoyed their company tremendously and the girls had fun trick or treating with a gang of kids, the additional candy has put me in a real pickle. Now I don't just have 3 mountains of candy to deal with but an entire mountain range.

Knowing that I also needed to downsize today, I took the steep climb on head on and plowed through the extra candy, sorting it all the while. I also confiscated Kendra's bucket after she dozed off into a sugary slumber and sorted her stash as well. At the end of all of my candy rummaging, we kept a small hill of candy for our candy dish (see last night's post), refilled Kendra's bucket with about half of what she started with (2 year old children can't count, can they?), and deemed an entire mountain of candy as a donation to the Maine Red Claws office staff. Dajuan will make the delivery when he goes to work tomorrow. That was as easy as taking candy from a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment