Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Magnetic Force


Cousin Reed (a.k.a. the master) has been saying all along that the kids would get into the downsizing challenge. I've had my doubts as Kiera has pouted about things such as me selling her Mario costume and Shayla has struggled on more than one occasion as we have tried to cull the toy collection. But tonight as my energy waned and the thought of finding a downsize was weighing heavily on my mind, Kiera blurted out of the blue "I know something that would make a good downsize someday." Someday? How about today? She eagerly explained that the Boone brand dry erase magnets were no longer useful as they have permanent markings and we don't own the appropriate markers anymore. Not only did she locate some items that hadn't even crossed my mind but she also provided a wonderful explanation of their expendable nature. This girl is catching on! Kiera and I gathered the collection of magnets and trashed them which left our fridge looking a bit neater and tidier - aside from the collection of alphabet magnets that occupy the lower 1/3 of the ice box door.

This evening's downsize was fabulous all around. Not only did it prove that my challenge is pulling my children into thinking about simplifying and supporting their dear old mom in my plight but it also gave me a chance to reflect on my odd buying behavior. At some point, I was lured into thinking that writing notes and lists on dry erase magnets would somehow help me feel organized and simplify my life. Here is the problem - they are not functional. What good does it do to make a list of groceries for instance if the list can not travel with me to the store? Ridiculous! I just laugh at how many organizing doo-dads I have purchased only to find that the best organizing tool is downsizing with an end result of having less stuff to organize!

1 comment:

  1. Downsizing is truly a family affair. Way to go, Keira. Keep showing mom the way!

    ReplyDelete