Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Stop Toying Around!




Back in August we performed a major overhaul of the kids' bedrooms which involved some necessary purging of stuff. The process rendered 2 Rubbermaid tubs full of goodies that landed on the playroom floor in the basement. I was heavily involved in the entire process and, needless to say, too weary to cull the bins and find homes for everything. I've been handing out idle threats ever sense that day - "if you guys don't go through that stuff I am going to throw it all away!".

Today I finally surrendered to the inevitable - the only way those plastic tubs will get emptied is if I do it. With Kendra sleeping soundly and the sunshine beaming down on this glorious fall day there are about a million things I would have liked to do. Cleaning up the toy room was not on the list. However downsizing must happen and I was feeling fresh out of ideas. And so I took the plunge and dug into the tubs full of the girls' junk. By the time they wandered in after school I had a heap of things for them to declare trash or treasure, a trash bag full of discards, and several piles that had been sorted and needed to be put away. They knew better than to roll an eyeball - they jumped in and helped me finish the deed.

When I finally got the chance to vacuum the newly neatened area tonight, I gazed around at the volume of toys and books that remain. Despite my drive to lessen our household load, the kids are struggling to part with their things. But we are making progress little by little. Just before turning out the light, I spied my battered Cabbage Patch Doll circa 1985 sitting in a baby bathtub. After cajoling the girls to give or throw away their toys and stuffed animals, I had the nerve to let this 25 year old doll hang around. I have kept her all of these years for memories, nostalgia, and perhaps to share her with my own daughters. And here I am today realizing that there is really no purpose in keeping her. The girls have their own special dolls (that are much cuter I might add) and I still have a vivid picture in my mind of the day I received my first Cabbage Patch Doll. What more do I need? Nothing.

I stepped out into the crisp evening air, saw my breath as I walked to the garage, and calmly set the doll in the trash bag with all of the other toys that have seen their prime come and go. Perhaps this is the very step I needed to take to encourage the Shayla and Kiera to part with some of their things - Lord I hope so!

1 comment:

  1. WOW, i admire you for that one....a girl's first cabbage patch kid is a treasure...good work here!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete