Friday, October 22, 2010

Cobweb Clearing


It is that time of year again - costume making season! With just over a week to go, moms everywhere are wracking their brains for unique and easy ideas for Halloween getups. Like most things I do as a mom - I tend to make costuming my 3 young ladies more difficult than it needs to be. However, this year I have figured out the characters for 2 out of the 3 girls. Kiera is going to trick or treat as a gumball machine and we have most of her costume prepared. Kendra is going to flit about as a ballerina in a hand-me-down leotard, tu-tu, and slippers. Shayla and I are still brainstorming a perfect idea for her spooky outfit. This puts us in decent shape considering it is only October 22nd.

One of my unspoken rules is to try to avoid store bought costumes at all costs. It is as if I believe my very worthiness as a mom rests upon my ability to produce a homemade Halloween costume. A few years ago I decided to sew a Hershey Kiss and a Candy Corn costume. This plan turned out to be good in theory but the results were less than spooktacular. The girls were good sports though and wore their outfits proudly despite repeatedly having to elaborate upon what they were actually dressed as. Apparently teaching myself to sew 4 days before the holiday wasn't such a stellar idea.

There were cloth remnants from my valiant effort that I have saved for 3 years (evidenced my the sales slip I discovered in the bag). What exactly did I think I would do with shiny silver, yellow, and orange fabric in the future? Because this year I have Halloween costume creation and Halloween downsizing on my mind, this morning I collected my scraps of felt, pipe cleaners, and cloth and donated them to the Hall School Art room. I have effectively cleared the cobwebs from yet another corner of my basement - and left room for our 2010 costume creations!

2 comments:

  1. You're a brave woman making costumes. I have a feeling I will take Chase to Goodwill and let him make an outfit. I can never live up to the stories of Mary Dyer creations. Whatever they end up as, I am sure your girls will have a fun Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who could live up to Aunt Mary??? Glad you aren't all hung up in that -
    It should be fun but we are T-7 days from Halloween and still no idea for Shayla!

    ReplyDelete