Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thinking Outside the Box



Gram and I had the luxury of a few hours alone at home this morning. We chatted in our PJ's over breakfast dishes and relished our time together. Once the remnants of our waffle breakfast were cleaned up, Gram encouraged me to go take a rest (as if she ever took a rest when she was in the throws of raising 6 kids, running a household, and a restaurant!). Instead I headed to the basement to start laundry.

While in the cellar, I poked my head into the furnace room and happened upon a perfect downsize for the day. Various piles of cardboard boxes are stacked precariously on the back wall. Here is a list of the cardboard I have amassed:
1. Kitchen Aid Mixer box (received 2 Christmases ago)
2. Large Box from a Christmas toy given to the girls last year
3. Fed Ex box - never used (note, we don't ship anything on a regular basis)
4. Power Strip Box (see this post for a similar box downsized a few weeks ago)
5. A box that held shirt boxes left over from Christmas gifts (I discarded both)
6. Fed Ex Box and receipt for a shipment received 2 years ago

Apparently I have held onto all of these boxes just in case we have to pack up and move immediately or I am anticipating a cardboard box shortage in the near future. Thanks to my downsizing efforts I'll be out of luck in both of these unlikely scenarios!

While I lugged the last of the boxes out to the garage, Gram said "that doesn't look like resting" but she had an approving smile. She appreciates a good organization effort when she sees one!

1 comment:

  1. Our garage has filled to the max with cardboard boxes from the many many new Spike necessities (stroller, car seat, heater, carriers, etc). The ironic thing is we couldn't get the recycling bins out to the curb on Thursday for collection because there are too many cardboard boxes in the way! Rob has designated tomorrow to be National Break Down Cardboard Boxes Day and will no doubt spend the majority of the day doing so while I'm at work. Not a very environmentally friendly child so far!

    ReplyDelete