Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Have a Ball


Some people have the gift of being able to entertain in their homes with a carefree, comfortable style. April is one of those people. Twice now our family has joined several other families from our church at April's home for dinner and fellowship. Both evenings the attendance swelled to over 30 people! The thought of this type of gathering makes me break out in a sweat. April is a hostess who never has to dab her brow.

Not only do we sup together at these gatherings but we do it responsibly. April and Eric invested in inexpensive dinnerware (enough for 30+ people!) to prevent the piles of waste from paper and plastic plates. The only "ungreen" part of their dinnerware is the red plastic cups. As we were winding down our evening, April lamented the use of the disposable cups and proposed buying ball jars as an inexpensive glassware alternative.

Eureka! The perfect downsize for today! I had an entire case of large ball jars in my basement and hand delivered them to April this morning. A few years ago my mother and I began making strawberry jam. Over time we have determined that we prefer the small ball jars for jam storage. As with so many things in my home, the case of unused large jars sat dormant in my closet for too long.

April graciously accepted my offering this morning and glowed as she realized this was part of my downsizing challenge (she is one of the faithful followers of my blog). And because she is an amazing hostess, she invited me in for a hot cup of coffee complete with fulfilling conversation. I am so happy my ball jars will be part of our future gatherings. I am even more content that they opened the door to a new connection with a fabulous lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment