Saturday, October 2, 2010

Egg-static


There wasn't a whole lot of time for downsizing today. My secret hope was that one of my two craig's list postings would sell and let me off the hook. By 3pm I gave up hope for that miracle and looked around in desperation. My eyes landed on 2 egg cartons piled on top of the fridge. These cardboard beauties became my bail out plan!

Over the past 6 months our family has made a gentle shift towards buying local as much as possible. This movement was spearheaded by my brother's farming ventures and the fresh pork and chicken that are the fruits of his labor. I found my inspiration for becoming a localvore in the pages of In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. Living in Portland, Maine makes buying local fairly easy with our nationally recognized Farmer's Market and fabulous markets like Rosemont Market and Bakery. Eggs are one of my favorite local foods - especially in light of the recent tainted egg scandal. In an attempt to be green and keep my egg costs affordable, I save my egg cartons. Sadly, through two trips to Rosemont in the past week my cartons sat static on top of the icebox. Today, I made a special downsizing trip to Rosemont to return them.

With my cartons out of their idle resting place, my task is complete for today. In totally unrelated news, allow me to share that Shayla scored her first goals in her soccer game. I'm not sure who was more ecstatic - she or I!

1 comment:

  1. very exciting about the goal! Sam had a tournament in So Port yesterday and the whole team played fabulously well!

    ReplyDelete