Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Long and Short of It



Mom and I haven't always been able to share clothes. I'm 5'9" and she is all of 5'4" (the runt of the litter as my Grampie fondly called her). Amazingly as we age and our shapes change a bit, I am now occasionally the benefactor of her castoffs. Today I had the chance to reciprocate by handing something off to Mom.

For those of you who have ever shopped with me you know that I have a fetish about pant length. I have a hard and fast rule to only buy pants that come in long lengths (with the exception of Banana Republic which runs particularly long). As with most rules, I occasionally break this one and always live to regret it which results in my owning pants that are slightly too short. My rationale is that on a certain day if I pull them down low enough on my waist and wear just the right shoes then they won't look like high waters. This reasoning creates a situation where that day never comes and instead the pants sit in my drawer and take up space.

As we got ready for church this morning I dug around in my drawer and happened upon a pair of jeans purchased in a rule breaking moment about 2 years ago. Aha! What a perfect item to downsize to Mom! She tried them on and they fit perfectly. The 3 Rights Rule worked in our favor and the hand-me-down transaction was complete!

Of course, it almost goes without saying that giving a pair of jeans to my mom pales in comparison to all that she has given and continues to give to me. She is an amazing role model for me as I work to be a better wife, mother, and friend. I often pray that I received the genes that make her incredibly patient, kind, loving, and steady. My grandmother gave me a pillow with the saying "Mirror, mirror, on the wall I have become my mother after all" some time ago. I can only hope that this wish comes true!

No comments:

Post a Comment