Thursday, October 28, 2010

For the Love of the Game


With the excitement of the Celtic's first regular season game behind us, we move into the kickoff of the Portland Recreation 4th and 5th grade basketball league. You guessed it - the Eubanks' are deeply involved. Shayla will be wrapping up her pee-wee basketball career before moving on to middle school and I am trying my hand at assistant coaching.

Tonight is our first practice and coach Tim and I have the enviable duty of corralling 18 girls with various levels of basketball experience into some semblance of a structured practice. I can almost hear all of my faithful followers sighing with envy! All kidding aside though, this is a very exciting time. Hall school typically has a low turnout for the 4th and 5th grade girl's team. But, this year we have too many girls for just one squad! This touches me deep down in my soul because I love women's basketball and want nothing more than to light a fire in every little girl's heart so that they too will love the game.

While packing up my practice jerseys, orange cones, and whistle, I came upon some extra shirts from my coaching endeavors with Kiera's age group over the past two years. I'm taking them along with me to return to the recreation director in hopes that he can reuse them. Perhaps there is a basketball revolution taking place at the pee-wee level and he'll need those extra shirts!

1 comment:

  1. Side story: as a basketball coach, I have a lifetime record of 0-1, and we lost that game by a score of 101-33. For years, I carried a piece of paper with that score in my wallet as a reminder to stay humble. Fortunately, I downsized that paper some time ago.

    ReplyDelete