Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Height of Fashion

There was a time when hem length was the measure of fashion. In my lifetime, there has been less emphasis on skirt length and much more attention to where waist lines fall. I've lived through belly button hugging buckles and plumber crack exposing rises. Currently, after hitting an all time low (haven't we all viewed enough thongs peaking over the rear of jeans?) rises are climbing once again. My hope is that they will settle mid range between the umbilicus and the top of the va-jay-jay (note my obsession with this word here).

There is some collateral damage to all of this waistline rising and falling. The ever important belt accessorizes the waist line and therefore the length of ones belt changes along with the variations in where one wears their jeans. Low slung jeans require thick long belts. High waisted dress pants require a much shorter and thinner belt. While I have rid myself of various unflattering and out of style jeans with the wrong rise, I forgot to purge the belts that went along with them. As I pawed through my closet today I found 5 unwearable belts that I've kept for over 10 years. Yet another example of useless clutter that is officially gone. I dropped the antiquated belts off at my trusty neighborhood Goodwill today. Let's hope they keep someone's pants off the ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment