Thursday, October 7, 2010

In the Driver's Seat



For the most part, we like to think we have a decent amount of control over our children. Shayla, Kiera and Kendra don't captain this ship. But the tides turned today as we declared it Day 1 of potty training. There is nothing like a toddler in her first pair of panties to make this mom drop everything for every pee-pee whim.

As we ventured out on our lone errand today I plopped the potty chair in the van so as not to be caught with my pants down. After a quick trip into the bank I began to put Kendra into her car seat when she proclaimed "I gotta pee-pee". In a flash I had her seated on the portable toilet as I stood as a spotter with the van door open. She proceeded to sit and chat, look around, and play with various objects sticking out of the chairback pocket. Not wanting to break her rhythm, I allowed her to sit as long as she wished. These things take time.

Feeling completely out of control and a bit silly standing by my minivan I decided to seize the moment for downsizing. I purged the aforementioned seat pocket and found oodles of trashable items including lollipop sticks, used kleenex, and broken pencils. I also happened upon several scented colored pencils (the product developer behind them surely got canned) that even the girls find repulsive - they hit the trash pile too. While Kendra continued to wait patiently for the yellow stream, I moved on to clean out the cup holders and wells at the back of the van. Remember how hot is was this summer? Well, I have melted crayon in one cup holder to prove the heat was record breaking. By the time I was finished the purge of the back 1/2 of my van I had accumulated a small pile of trash and some paper scraps for recycling, broken sunglasses, circa 1980 ear buds, and 2 hair elastics.

After what seemed like an eternity, Kendra said (after a dramatic pause and head tilt) "did you hear that?". Low and behold, we heard the long awaited tinkle. After a celebratory high five I buckled her and high tailed it home. At 2, the urge can come again before you know it!

2 comments:

  1. Potty training. Oh, how I am not looking forward to it, but am looking forward to not washing diapers anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, potty training is one of the more complex tasks in parenting. But, you have one thing on your side - cloth diapered children train earlier, right? Or is that just an urban myth?

    ReplyDelete