Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween Eve



Halloween fever struck our home today. After a chilly trip to the farmer's market we carved three jack-0-lanterns and then dove headlong into costume preparation. You may recall that the costume ideas were hatched over 1 week ago but little progress has been made in the meantime. That makes today, Halloween eve, d-day.

After several hours of family collaboration and team effort the costumes are nearly ready for their debut tomorrow evening. The jack-o-lanterns are flickering on the front steps. And the candy bowl is full of Take 5 candy bars and Raisinets (doesn't the raisin part make this a healthy alternative?). As we cleaned up from our holiday preparations, the crystal candy dish in my china closet caught my eye. Lurking in this quaint location are hardened wads of double bubble, stale Hersey's kisses (that my mother in law deemed unfit for consumption back in August), and melted, gooey peppermints. I guess you could say that candy isn't a common part of our diet so it is not unusual for treats to go uneaten for months at a time. Tonight, as I pondered the obscene amounts of candy the girls will haul into our house in the next 24 hours I decided it was fitting to trash the stale to make room for the fresh. Bring on the Baby Ruths, Kit Kats, and Reeses Peanut Butter cups - we are ready!

1 comment:

  1. Though I haven't been a "faithful" follower in the sense that I read this everyday, I do support you and admire all that you are doing! Just wanted you to know that and I hope you had a fun Halloween with your beautiful girls and Dajuan! xo

    ReplyDelete